Decks made of pressure-treated lumber or decay-resistant woods still need regular maintenance to prolong their life. Harsh weather and UV rays are an enemy to decks in Kansas City. You will need to clean and refinish your deck to keep it looking great. Finishes containing different amounts of pigment offer different levels of protection to your deck. (more…)
The chill in the air is no reason to shy away from using your outdoor kitchen. With Thanksgiving quickly approaching, it provides you with an excellent opportunity to showcase the cooking skills you have perfected over the summer.
Second Cooking Area
If you have a large gathering planned, don’t hesitate to use your outdoor kitchen as a second cooking area. This is also a great solution for families living in warmer climates who dread the heat accumulation from the indoor oven.
With an ever increasing desire to serve healthy foods, grilling has become a mainstay for cooking. Use your outdoor kitchen to provide tasty alternatives to the usual calorie dense and high fat Thanksgiving treats.
Entertain your company both before and after the big meal outdoors. Use your outdoor kitchen to whip up some delicious appetizers or bar friendly snacks to enjoy while everyone relaxes. The warmth from your cooking will serve as an added way to ward off the chill in the air, making sure to keep everyone comfortable.
Use your outdoor kitchen design to the greatest advantage, see our Facebook page for more ideas.
Fall is here and that means those cold winter days are right around the corner. And now is the time to get your outdoor patio or room ready for the harsher weather.
- Don’t leave your outdoor furniture exposed to the elements. If you don’t have an enclosed space like a basement where it can be stored then you may want to consider fitted covers to help extend your furniture’s life. Scrub each piece with warm soapy water. Dry thoroughly and tie the cover to each leg securely.
- Follow the same procedure when storing the grill. Thoroughly clean both inside and out. If the grill is gas and you plan on leaving it inside an enclosed space it is important to remove the propane tank.
- If you have an outdoor kitchen bring all kitchen and dining utensils and equipment inside. Disconnect and clean out the refrigerator. Turn off all outside water sources to sinks, icemakers and dishwashers.
- Store all bags of potting soil and gardening tools in an enclosed area. Turn all unused pots upside down so they can’t fill with rainwater or snow. Disconnect and drain hoses, coil neatly and put in a covered space so they won’t freeze and crack.
According to the most recent Home Design Trends Survey from the American Institute of Architects (AIA), outdoor living areas/outdoor rooms are some of the more popular special function spaces. This reflects a growing emphasis on active, practical family lifestyles.
In the backyard, the water reclamation trend has grown in the past year. Low-maintenance, low-irrigation landscaping continues to be important as well. Perhaps this trend is informed by the creative and amenity-filled outdoor living spaces seen in leading magazines.
Architectural Digest featured an outdoor fireplace, ample seating, and waterfall in a Santa Monica, California home.
While Elle Decor shows a Santa Barbara, CA pool area that feels like a water park.
For ideas regarding outdoor rooms in Kansas City, click here to view Outdoor Environments’ Portfolio!
The greater Kansas City area will be inspired by the 2013 U.S. Youth Soccer National Championships, to be hosted at the Overland Park Soccer Complex.
Overland Park, Kansas impressed U.S. Youth Soccer when it held the competition in 2010. Young adults let their talent shine in this competition, where regional champs face off. College scouts and coaches will even be in the stands in search of the stars of tomorrow.
Image via NBC 41 Action News
The American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA) recently reported their Top Outdoor Living Trends for 2012.
- Grills. 97.4 percent of respondents stated that grills are popular.
- Outdoor living spaces. 91.5 percent said outdoor living spaces were popular, and they associated these spaces with outdoor kitchens and entertainment.
- Terraces, patios, decks. The most popular outdoor structures were terraces, patios, and decks.
ASLA was founded in 1899 as the national professional association for landscape architects, representing over 17,000 members. ASLA’s mission is to lead, to educate, and to participate in the stewardship, planning, and skilled design of our cultural and natural environments.
It’s that time of year again! The Johnson County Home & Garden Show is an event that showcases a variety of home and garden products and services available throughout the JoCo area. So of course, Outdoor Environments will be there to show off our outdoor living capabilities. Will you be there?
Trade shows are the perfect opportunity for consumers to up close and personal how to transform their homes. Ever thought about adding or remodeling a patio, deck, porch or another outdoor space? Come see us in March at the Johnson County Home & Garden Show!
- Dates: March 2nd from 10 a.m. until 9 p.m., March 3rd from 10 a.m. until 9 p.m. and March 4th from 10 a.m until 6 p.m.
- Location: Overland Park Convention Center, 6000 College Blvd., Overland Park, KS 66211
- Tickets: $10 for adults, children 12 and under are free
Visit the home show’s official website for additional details.
It’s been two years since we started this blog. And we hope that we have provided you with valuable tips and ideas when it comes to outdoor living. Since we’ve reached such a huge milestone, now is a good time to take a look back at the blog posts that you, our readers, have deemed the most popular.
Outdoor Environments’ Top 5 Blog Posts:
- Decorating Outdoors: Making the most of what you have
- Make your deck or patio more private
- Screened-in porches
- Privacy please
- 6 Tips to cleaning your grill
We truly thank you for taking the time to read our blog. We’ll continue to post timely and relevant news, ideas and trends related to all of your outdoor living needs and desires. And don’t forget that there’s plenty of ways to keep in touch with us!
Image by Rubberball/Mike Kemp via GettyImages.com
Did you know that CNN Money named Overland Park as one of America’s best places to live? It’s true, thanks to a number of matchless attributes, particularly an outstanding school system.
If you agree that Overland Park is a great place to live, then why not make a worthwhile investment in your home? After all, it is National Homeownership Month. Outdoor Environments offers a number of exterior building and remodeling services that’ll add value to your home.
- Outdoor kitchens and grill enclosures
- Three- and four-season rooms
- Patios, walls and water features
- Detached and screened porches
- Fire pits and fireplaces
- Decks – stucco, tile, upper level, low-profile, spa, and more
- Gazebos, pergolas and shade arbors
Call us at 913-897-2706 to find out how we can render our services to improve your Overland Park home this summer!
Image from Creative Commons
Mark your calendars for one of Kansas City’s biggest annual events!
When: Friday-Sunday, March 25-27, 2011
Friday: 10 am-8 pm • Saturday: 10 am-8 pm • Sunday: 10 am-6 pm
Where: Kansas City Convention Center, Bartle Hall
Who attends this event?
This year’s event will be packed full of fun, informative and educational features including:
- BBQ Pit
- Construction Zone
- Design Gallery
- Fit Kid area
- Garden Market
- Garden Pavilion
- Green Build Destination
- Pet Park
- Remodelers Row
- Universal Design
Professional work by local builders, designers, landscapers, remodelers and many others will be showcased. For more information about this year’s home show, visit the Home Builder’s Association of Greater Kansas City online.
Outdoor Environments specializes in outdoor living solutions such as patios, decks, seasonal rooms, arbors, pergolas, deck cleaning, restoration and much more. Call us at 913-897-2706 to find out how we can help you.
Logos courtesy of KCHBA